I got a little tired from the issues I had with WordPress . Not
because WordPress doesn’t do what it says it does — it does actually —
but because I don’t write that much here anymore and I felt that I only
consistently kept the site up-to-date WordPress-wise, and not
content-wise. I felt I spent more time on updating than on anything else.
Which — naturally — meant I started fiddling. First, I tried Pelican
which I liked and really wanted to use. Then, I stumbled on Nikola
I tried them both and they both seemed to work for me. In the end, I
went for Nikola. It seems faster and better at not rebuilding posts unnecessarily.
The migration required the following steps:
Export an xml-file of my WordPress-data (posts and pages).
Easy enough through the ‘Tools > Export > All Content’ in the
WordPress Admin pane (although I must admit it went horribly wrong
for me, but in the end, I managed to get a usable file).
Import in Nikola with
nikola import_wordpress file.xml
This did not work for me, it got stuck or crashed even though I
checked the file with
xmllint. Instead, I downloaded WordPress to
Markdown Exporter and converted the xml-file that way. I lost
some info, but nothing very dramatic.
Mess around until everything works and looks okay.
This took the most time because I got distracted by lots of new
stuff like Python and RestructeredText. Had fun.
Pretty sure some things didn’t work as expected and I’ve possibly broken
some links. However, I delved into my .htaccess file which should
redirect old links to their new place. This mattered even more because
at the same time I decided to switch domains from
http://tanniespace.com to http://tannie.nl . Apparently, when I
decide to mess with things, I mess with them thoroughly.